Celebrate Love

My brother-in-law is getting married on May 26, 2007. Ariel and I decided to give him and his new bride an overnight stay at the Boutique Bed and Breakfast Hotel in Tagaytay (Nice place! Call them at 046 4131885 or 046 4131795). With that kind of gift, that means we won’t have something to physically hand to them on their wedding day. Ariel suggested that we just buy a card for them and write a note wishing them a pleasant stay at the hotel. I then gave him a look tat says “Hello! Are you married to a scrapper or what?!!!” I can make the card myself! I actually looked forward to making the card, having been inspired by Valerie’s entries to the Gallery Idol, and MyScrapwork.com’s Cardologist, Jocelyn’s most recent article.

First, I looked at the papers I have on stock. I decided to use the plain white 12 x 12 papers that come with the paper protectors. I have lots of those as I rarely use them for my layouts. I cut an A2 sized folded card. Why A2? Well, I have a Making Memories envelop template for A2 cards. So, deciding on the size is a no-brainer. I used my corner rounder punch to …well… round the corners of the card (I want to get more corner rounders – big, small, etc. I only have one size!).

Then, I cut a blue cardstock (Bazzil Bling) a bit smaller than my A2 card to allow for around 5mm margin around it. I also rounded the corners to match the white card.

I decided that my title would be “Celebrate Love”. After all, a wedding ceremony is really a celebration of two people’s love for each other. I took out my rubber stamp with the word Love and a few roses and stamped on a sheet of white paper (scraps from my A2 card) using a copper pigment ink. I then sprinkled copper embossing powder on the wet ink and applied heat for an embossed metallic look. I wanted to use gold but I don’t have gold ink or powder. Then I chalked the stamped image – pink for the rose buds, green for the leaves and blue-green for the background. I used my acrylic template (from Simply Scrappy) and Coluzzle Swivel Knife to cut the heart shape. I inked the edges and matted it with a scrap of DCWV Pocket Full of Posies. I then adhered the title to the card. I typed the word “celebrate” on MS Powerpoint (forgot the font name!) and printed it on white paper. I traced the word using Zig embossing pen and embossed it with copper embossing powder. This gives the card a bit of texture. I cut it into a small strip of rectangle, manually rounded the corners, and inked the edges. I also punched a slot (using the Making Memories slot tool) on the right end for the ribbon. I adhered 3D flower stickers (from Crafting Studio) on the strip of paper, inserted a pink ribbon and adhered it to the card. Now, I had to think of how to fill the empty spaces on the card. Inspired by Jocelyn Wilhelm’s article on flourishes (May Issue of MyScrapWorks – Cardologist column), I decided to doodle a bit and use flourishes and hearts. I embossed the doodling with an embossing pen and some copper powder. I stuck another bunch of 3D flower stickers on the bottom right portion of the card for a more balanced look.

For the envelop, I traced my envelop template on another sheet of white paper. I hand cut it and folded into an envelop. I just printed the name of my brother-in-law and his wife-to-be on white paper, inked the edges, chalked the name, and adhered it to a strip of blue cardstock. That’s it!!!

I enjoyed making it so much that I am thinking of just giving away homemade cards for Christmas. Now, what month should I get started to make sure I get everything done in time for Christmas?

Check out the card and its matching envelop at the MyScrapWorks gallery.

No comments: